Tuesday, July 8, 2008

ICU

Well I felt like a ping pong ball yesterday, we were moved from Med 3 to our HEMOC floor on med 4, only to be moved 3 hours later to Med 2, ICU. Alec had some awake periods but not speaking, he is also unresponsive to neuro checks, he doesn't squeeze your hands, I mean he knows these tests and would do the in his sleep.
He needs an MRI but there is major concern about sedation with his breathng and lethargy.
He was given a small dose of decadrone the "evil" drug, last night, urrgh! But if he needs it, he needs it. I am not sure what the plan is for today, ICU Dr.'s want an MRI which I think is really necessary, something is going on. He had an chest x-ray, there was fear of a lung collapse but all looked okay but concern he is not taking in enough oxygen. I really didn't want the chest x-ray, As a parent to keep subjecting him to radiation with all he has gone through, I can't even tell you how much I cringe and my heart crumbles and aches and stomach twist during every ctscan and xray, I mean this is my baby, my perfect little angel I carried for 9 months, my little boy who has done nothing wrong except be a child, an amazing one at that! He takes on everything thrown at him and doesn't resist one bit. It's not fair, it's just not fair!!
His HEMOC team thinks he just needs the steroids, but why?? How long can he go on with the steroids for. Endocin checked his cortisol, I was so hoping it was that and it was fine. Neuro tapped his shunt, but feel its not related, so what is it, whats going on?
He was also scoped by ENT and they saw some inflamation in the back of the throat, but the decadrone would help that. Also he is still on ng tube feeds, but there is some g- tube talk now, it would help his passage way and think that is smart to consider. Even though he is still seeing a swallow thereapist who knows how long it will take.
I'll update later, hopefully with some answers.
Pray hard,
Amy

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

PLEASE KNOW THAT WE THINK OF ALEC OFTEN AND PRAY FOR A SPEEDY RECOVERY. PLEASE KEEP US POSTED.STAY STRONG AMY.
JANICE

laurarice said...

Dear Amy, Mark, Alec, Kevin and Sean,

Can't believe all that you've been through and that the road still seems so long. You're in my thoughts and I check the blog often. Hang in there!

Laura (Mark's cousin)

Anonymous said...

Amy my prayers are with you. I hate seeing you and your family going through this. You both keep staying strong and if there is anything I could ever do to help dont hesitate to call I mean it...
Luv ya Both