Jacob's service was beautiful. I can't imagine what Nancy and Mike are going through right now. When Alec was first diagnosed we had the emotional support of family and friends, although only 1 month in, after the first round of chemo- it was expressed how "stressed out" some people are. That is another subject entirely. How some people you thought would never be there for you suddenly were; and people you thought were your rock, suddenly fade away into the night.
Anyway, as much as the majority of people tried to console us, we didn't find, or atleaset I didn't find comfort from anyone but my husband and those I met at clinic.
It's really hard to express how you feel to someone that hasn't experienced what you have. The running to get the puke bucket at all hours of the night, because Alec was getting the "yuckies". Temperature taking and being ready to goto the ER at the drop of a coin. Having to hold your son down and count to 3 for his injections, medicine, chemo, and food intake, what his current anc, wbc, hemoglobin, and platelets counts were currently at.
When it was okay to give Alec fresh fruit and veggies and when they are off limits. So many things. Anyway my point is, this is a whole new chapter for Nancy and her family. As I stood there and she asked how Alec was doing, I felt guily. Here I am with my son getting stronger and she lost hers to the same cancer.
There were no right words I could say that would bring Jacob back or that would have really truly consoled her. She has entered another realm that I pray everyday I never have to face. What she doesn't know is how much inspiration she is to me, and how the strength and courage Jacob had is in my heart and I will carry it and convey it to all I meet.
They started an organization and if you have a moment please look at it:
http://www.kidsvcancer.org/
She is on a mission to find a cure, and she has the medical background and feelers out there to do the research.
Well keep those Gold flags flying high to continue to raise childhood cancer awareness and Gray for brain tumor awareness.
Bye for now,
Amy
Monday, January 19, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment