

Summer school is off to a good start. His teacher is a doll, Ms. Dudah. He goes from 8:30 to 11:30. Then he comes home and get's his usual speech, OT, PT, and vision therapy. Not the same day. Some on the same day, sometimes only one service like speech, but luckily everything really fell into place. With the exception of his vision therapist, I don't know about this character. I haven't met him yet and our telephone conversations haven't given me that warm and fuzzy feeling. He planned on visiting Alec in school and Alec is suppose to receive all his services at home, as recommended at his IEP meeting AND documented in his IEP. Which leads me to believe he didn't do his homework on Alec.
The other give away, he failed to look at his paperwork is he wanted me to drop Alec off a 1/2 hour early at school once a week so he can service him. WHAT?? Okay had he actually read Alec's case he would clearly see Alec needs an aid, he can't walk, has a speech impairment. This guy doesn't know our son from a hole in the wall. Who is going to help him go to the bathroom. Not to mention what gives this guy the right to use the building before hours? Not to happy to say the least.
Yesterday we went to St. Charles for wheelchair clinic. YAY!!! Alec is going to get a wheelchair that suits his every need. The one he has now was meant to be temporary and he was 30 lbs lighter, did I mention 30 POUNDS lighter. I still believe he will walk someday, but the truth is he needs a real wheelchair. While working in school, going on trips. He needs addition lateral support, tilt. I am so excited.
We are working with Alec alot on his walking. Well mostly me, Mark is a wimp, LOL. No just kidding, he's not like me though, I push, and push Alec. The minute Alec tells Mark he's tired, Marks like okay and stops. We are going to be starting aqua aerobics soon, so excited. His PT said how great it is and I saw how well he did in the water in North Carolina. And best of all he loves it. He goes on the treadmill for about 5 min intervals. And various other things. We are still working in getting him familiar with his Dynavox, his communication device. He is getting use to it, but another thing to learn.
When I was dropping Alec off to school I noticed some construction going on outside of his elementary school. YAY, a ramp and new walkway. There use to be steps going into the school. Just a few and we did fine getting Alec up them. But the walkway I have to say was for the pits. It was weathered like anything else, but the cracked cement made Alec's wheelchair hault and he would jerk. My poor baby. But look at it now, WOW!!! Thanks Center Moriches for passing our budget to make these little things possible. And also to the staff and faculty for all they do to make our lives a little easier :0)
I don't know if I mentioned it before but they had replaced the doors in front of his school sometime in the winter wheelchair assessable. Alec's medical condition has really been a learning experience for everyone in our small little community. The best part is Alec is still with us to see how much he is loved.
I also attached some beach pictures, I love our beach :-)
Take care.
-Amy
No comments:
Post a Comment